Looking for the best rain shower head to bring an exhilarating nature experience inside your bathroom?
You’re at the right place.
If you absolutely love standing in the rain and feeling the rainwater wash away all your troubles (and dirt), you definitely need to buy a rain shower head and transform your boring old shower routine into something magical.
We know you’re sold already on these gifts from heaven, and want to get one ASAP, but there are so many options to choose from.
Don’t worry, we’ll help you pick the best one for your needs. Keep reading!
Research You Can Trust:
Making a wise buying decision can be tricky, but we’ve done the hard work for you. We’re here to help you make the best choice with our honest, reliable, and expert reviews of products we compiled after hours and hours of in-depth research. We make sure to look through all the good and bad things industry experts and customers are saying about rain shower heads in the market, so you can buy the right one for your needs.
Our Top Picks:
|Product Name||Image||Best Feature||The "But"||Overall Rating||Details|
|Shower Head - Rainfall High Pressure 6”||Self-cleaning nozzles, excellent performance, cost-effective||Nozzles might not dispense water equally||10||Check price|
|Premium Rain Shower Head 12 Inch Square||Luxuriously large shower head, high pressure, modern square design||No extension arm, weak swivel ball||9.5||Check price|
|Moen S6320 Velocity Two-Function Rainshower 8-Inch||Immersion Technology, two spray modes||Expensive||9.5||Check price|
|Moen S6345EP Velocity Eco-Performance||Immersion Technology, two spray modes, conserves water||Expensive, no extension arm, bad compatibility with old arms||9.5||Check price|
|HotelSpa Giant 10" Stainless Steel Rainfall Square Showerhead||Easy to install and clean, fashionable design||Lacks durability, water leakage complaints||9||Check price|
|Waterpik RPB 173 RPB-173 Drenching Rain Fall Showerhead||OptiFLOW technology, Lifetime warranty||Doesn’t function well without flow restrictor||9||Check price|
|Hansgrohe 27474001 Raindance Downpour AIR Showerhead||Airpower technology, QuickClean feature||Very expensive||9||Check price|
|ALFI brand RAIN16R 16-Inch Solid Round Ultra-Thin Rain Shower Head||Very large shower head, anti-fingerprint finish||Excessive water consumption, expensive||9||Check price|
|Moen S6340 90 Degree 6" Single-Function Showerhead||Immersion technology, great coverage, cheaper than other models||No extension arm, compatibility issues||8.5||Check price|
|Delta RP52382 Touch Clean Raincan Single-Setting Showerhead||Great water coverage, easy to clean||Weak pressure output, lacks sturdiness||8.5||Check price|
|Thunderhead - TH2.5 - High Pressure Rain Shower Head||Powerful water output, beautiful design||Lack of features, water leakage complaints, expensive||8.5||Check price|
The 30-Second Review:
Buying a new rain shower head for your bathroom can be a difficult choice. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the top 11 models out there, with a detailed review of each one including its list of features, pros, and cons.
Make sure you consider all the factors involved, like the head size, design, and finishing, fit type, spray settings, compatibility with your shower arm, material and durability.
How to Pick the Best Rain Shower Head:
Before you go and buy your new rain shower head, here are some important things you should consider to decide which one is best for your needs:
Shower Head Size:
The diameter of rain shower heads is measured in inches. Generally, the rule is the bigger the diameter, the better. The bigger the shower head is, the more area it will cover, and the more area it will cover, the more natural it would feel. But do remember, the larger the size of the shower head, the less the water pressure will be.
Handheld rain shower heads are usually 4-6 inches while ceiling rain shower heads are usually 8-inches or more.
Material and Durability:
The material used for your shower head is an important factor because it tells you about the quality and durability of the product.
In general, the topmost quality is brass, followed by stainless-steel, and then come the cheaper ABS plastic rain shower heads. If you’re not worried about the price, we’d definitely recommend you to get a brass rain shower head. Stainless-steel is the middle ground as it gives you quality for relatively less cost. ABS is the best choice for people who are on a budget.
Most rain shower heads also come with a chrome finish, although a brushed nickel finish might be featured in some brass models. And of course, a higher quality material will be more durable and long-lasting.
Shower Fit Type:
There are three most common shower fit types: ceiling-mounted, wall-mounted, and handheld.
While mounted shower heads may not be as flexible as their handheld counterparts, they give you the true showering in the rain feeling. It is definitely a relaxing experience. There are also several models out there that are a combination of both, which means they are primarily a wall-mounted unit but have an extra hand-held piece to offer that versatility.
You should also check if your new shower head comes with an extension arm, or if it’s compatible with your old shower arm.
Some rain shower heads come with advanced spray designs and multiple spray settings.
This means, if you’re looking for a simple rain shower, a single setting will work great. But if you want the option of choosing between rain-fall, powerful massage, drenching, and mist settings, then you need to pick a shower head with more features.
Best Rain Shower Head Reviews:
#1 Shower Head – Rainfall High Pressure 6” – Rain High Flow Fixed Luxury Chrome Showerhead – Removable Water Restrictor – Adjustable Metal Swivel Ball Joint – For the Best Relaxation and Spa
This Somov World product is one of the best rainfall shower heads available in the market. The product has a very elegant chrome-plated finish and delivers everything it promises.
Our research show that this product gives out excellent performance levels at the desired water pressure level. It even comes with a detachable water restrictor that enhances the user’s experience by giving out a super powerful flow of water through its tiny, anti-clogging and self-cleaning nozzles that prevent lime and hard water deposits.
The best part…
We love how easy it is to install this shower head! It quickly connects to any standard shower arm without any need for additional tools. You also get a roll of Teflon tape as a bonus with this product.
- Rainfall shower head
- Removable water restrictor
- Self-cleaning nozzles: 90 Powered Anti-Clogging Silicone Jets
- Easy tool-free installation
- Excellent value for money
- Powerful water output
- Adjustable Metal Swivel Ball Joint
- Easy to install
- Nozzles fail to dispense water equally
#2 Premium Rain Shower Head 12 Inch Square Ultra-Thin Luxury Spa Experience, High Pressure Full Body Cover, Adjustable Rainfall Showerhead, Stainless Steel 304 Chrome Finish, Silicone Nozzles by Happy-li
This premium 12-inch rain shower head by Happy-li is a luxury product with a classic stainless steel 304 chrome finish that enhances the look of your bathroom. The ultra-thin unit comes with 196 high-pressure silicon nozzles.
This shower head is very easy to install with little or no need for any tools.
The swivel ball of the unit has a drawback. It’s not easily adjustable and has a limited range of motion. This, however, can be overlooked considering the large 12-inch shower head’s spray is pretty hard to miss.
Here’s why we still love this one…
The unit comes with an effective shower filter that works as a regulator to restrict the water outflow to 2.5 gallons per minute. It also comes with 10 spare nozzles in case the original ones get damaged. We also appreciated how easy the nozzles are to clean.
This product doesn’t come with the installation arm and we found that the uniqueness of this shower head becomes a hiccup for many customers as they have to buy an external shower arm to make their product work.
- Best Shower Experience – covers all of your body and creates a remarkable refreshing sensation.
- Luxurious Shower – Elegant, large, square 12” by 12” plate, the perfect size.
- Elegant Design – Ultra Thin, 2 mm thick, extra shiny Mirror finish.
- Top Quality Materials – Stainless Steel 304 with polish chrome, highest rust resistance.
- High Pressure Stream – 196 of the best quality silicon nozzles, perfect stream and easy to clean.
- Easy To Install – Seconds to install, no need for any tools or Teflon tape
- Adjustable Connector – Strong and stable for any angle you like.
- Great value for money
- Large head gives expansive water output
- Chrome finish and a square design gives a luxurious look to your bathroom
- Comes with 10 spare nozzles, a high-quality shower filter, and a 2 years warranty!
- Doesn’t come with the extension arm
- Swivel ball of the unit is weak and has limitations
#3 Moen S6320 Velocity Two-Function Rainshower 8-Inch Showerhead with Immersion Technology at 2.5 GPM Flow Rate, Chrome
The S6320 has a classy chrome finish that complements pretty much every bathroom design. The unit is equipped with the Immersion technology which is a self-pressurizing system that continuously intensifies the flow of water to deliver a thorough rinse every time you shower.
All good things come with a price:
Yes, this product comes with a big price too. It’s very expensive compared to other rain shower heads, but it offers a lot of cool features to make up for it.
The product features two spray modes that offer a customized water flow. So you can conveniently switch between concentrated and rain rinse modes.
We found the 8-inch diameter of the S6320 rain shower head gives a water output of about 2.5 gallons per minute through its 100 tiny nozzles. Use it with this curved extension arm for an exhilarating, true rain-like experience!
- 8-inch shower head delivers expansive water coverage
- Immersion technology increases spray power for a thorough rinse
- Adjustable water flow lets you easily switch between concentrated and rain rinse modes
- Mirror-like chrome finish complements most bathroom styles
- Backed by Moen’s Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Classy chrome finish
- Immersion technology increases water spray power
- Offers two spray modes; concentrated & rain rinse modes
- Comes with an external arm to install the unit easily
- Nozzles are weak and change shape after some time
#4 Moen S6345EP Velocity Eco-Performance Two-Function 8-1/2″ Diameter Spray Rain shower Showerhead, Chrome
The S6345EP is a premium product that features Moen’s latest Immersion Technology. The product comes with a tiny lever that allows the user to choose from either a calming rain rinse function or a self–pressurized spray. It also meets EPA’s water sense criteria so the unit conserves water without sacrificing performance.
But that’s not all…
The shower head’s dimensions are 10.5 x 9.5 x 4.1 inches, and it comes in classic chrome colors. The unit has an output capacity of 2.0 gallons per minute that enhances the shower experience of the user, especially because of its gentle outflow.
A word of caution:
Unfortunately, the product is difficult to fix with other shower head arms as Moen has a unique size of the attachment knob. Plus, it doesn’t come with an extension arm, which is disappointing since this shower head is relatively expensive.
However, you can always buy this external curved extension arm from Moen to make up for it!
- Chrome Finish: Highly reflective for a mirror-like look that works with any decorating style
- 8-1/2″ Diameter Spray Head
- Advanced, self-pressurizing Moen Immersion Technology
- Two-function combination spray for more variety; concentrated rinse; full rain shower
- Meets EPA WaterSense (r) criteria to conserve water without sacrificing performance
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Easy to clean
- Premium product
- Eco-friendly, conserves water
- Immersion Technology increases water spray power
- Easily switchable between two functions: calm rinse & pressurized spray
- The shower head isn’t compatible with old shower head arms
- The package doesn’t include an extension arm
#5 HotelSpa Giant 10″ Stainless Steel Rainfall Square Showerhead with Solid Brass Adjustable Extension Arm
The product is made of heavy-duty 304 Stainless Steel and has a 10-inch by 10-inch shower head. It has 100 equally distributed nozzles that give out superior water flow coverage. We feel that the elaborate design of the product makes it super easy to clean and maintain in the long run.
The product also features an extension arm so you can adjust the angle and height of the shower head. It has a 2-foot vertical movement range providing more than enough width to the use of the product and 180-degree adjustable solid brass ball joints.
The product is easy to install with little to no use of any particular tools and offers a limited time warranty.
The products extension arm isn’t durable. The base of the product has to be secured with a lot of tapes and even then there have been a number of cases related to water leakage or damage to the unit.
The product is beautiful but is a disappointment when it comes to lasting performance.
- Heavy-duty 304 Stainless Steel Construction
- Giant 10” face with 100 nozzles for superior water flow coverage
- Easy to Clean Rub-Clean Jets
- Fashionable Ultra-Thin Square Design
- Solid Brass Ball Joint Nut for reliable connection
- High-polish Chrome Plated Finish
- Easy tool-free installation
- Extension arm increases the width of usage
- Large base area gives great water coverage
- Easy to install
- Easy to clean
- Lacks durability & sturdiness
- Water leakage
Waterpik’s RPB-173 features the advanced OptiFLOW technology that offers a powerful shower experience even at low water pressures. The 6-inch round shower head comes with an adjustable designer arm that positions water flow directly overhead or at any desired angle easily.
Waterpik has been in the industry for a long time and has tried to cope with all sorts of new technologies to gain an edge over its competitors. The RPB-173 gives good performance compared to its price. It also has a nice chrome finish and gives a water output of 2.5 gallons per minute.
It is also compatible with most external shower arms.
The unit also features a flow restrictor but during testing we found that after the removal of the flow restrictor, the water hurled down so quickly that it actually worsened the shower experience.
- Advanced OptiFLOW technology for a high-pressure, full-body spray
- Adjustable designer arm positions water flow directly overhead or at an angle
- Creates a gentle drenching rainfall experience with full body spray coverage
- 6-Inch round shower head
- Lifetime warranty
- OptiFLOW technology for a high-pressure, full-body spray
- Easily adjustable showerhead
- Value for money
- Lifetime warranty
- Removal of flow restrictor negatively impacts the shower experience
- Not much of an improvement from old Waterpik’s showerheads and other competitor’s products
The 10-inch Raindance S240 features a total of 180 no-clog silicone spray nozzles that put out about 2.5 gallons of water in a minute. The unit is available in chrome and brushed nickel finishes and can swivel up to 26 degrees in any direction.
This shower head features Hansgrohe’s AirPower technology that enriches the water with air resulting in a steady and softer flow of water droplets on the skin. However, we found that this feature defeats the actual purpose of the rain shower, which is a heavy outflow of water. Still, it’s a unique and exciting feature to some.
You can also upgrade your shower for a multi-outlet experience with Hansgrohe’s patented rough-in valve.
It also features the QuickClean anti-calcification function that prevents lime deposits and heavy droplets from clustering on the nozzles. The scale deposits are simply rubbed off.
Don’t get too happy, though:
The Hansgrohe is a very expensive showerhead to own. Our reviews show that even a tiny flaw in the unit leaves a very bad impression on the customers. Due to its high price, its target market is not an average household, and conclusively, the product is naturally prone to a lot of criticism.
- Single spray mode: RainAir
- 180 No-clog silicone spray channels
- Generous 10” diameter
- Showerhead rotates 26 degrees in any direction
- 1/2” standard pipe connection
- Fully-finished matching metal spray face
- 5 GPM flow rate for thorough coverage
- Airpower technology enables a soft water outflow
- Sturdy unit
- Easy to clean with its QuickClean feature
- Very expensive
The RAIN16R is a large shower head that easily covers the full body for a nice shower. The unit, as the name suggests, literally makes it ‘rain’ with its large head and consumes a lot of water.
This 16-inch shower head is made of solid stainless steel that makes the unit sturdy and durable, but we found that the 2mm thick plate gave way as time passed which led to water leakage in the shower head after continued use. It also comes with 5 spare nozzles.
Enjoy this large showerhead to the fullest with a ceiling mounted shower arm for a closer-to-real-life rain experience.
- Brushed Stainless Steel Anti-Fingerprint Finish
- Round shape 16″ in Diameter and only 2mm thick
- Features a swivel adapter which allows you to angle the shower head during use
- Clear rubber nozzles allow for easy cleaning if clogged. Comes with 5 replacement nozzles.
- Classic finish
- Very large shower head offers extensive coverage
- Great water output
- Water leakage
- Overconsumption of water
#9 Moen S6340 90 Degree 6″ Single-Function Showerhead with Immersion Technology at 2.5 GPM Flow Rate, Chrome
The S6340 is a single function showerhead that offers an advance, self-pressuring technology that channels water through the showerhead with an increased spray power for a thorough rinse. Moen has diversified its niche to aim at households that can’t afford its high-end premium products.
Let’s dig into the details:
The product features Moen’s Immersion Technology that considerably increases the water spray power and output. It also prevents water from clogging to the surface of the showerhead to ensure a steady stream of water flow throughout the shower. According to our research, the showerhead gives an output of 2.5 gallons per minute.
Although this product costs much less than Moen’s other showerheads, it can still seem slightly more expensive compared to some other brands. The good thing is, though, you get some cool features to make up for the price.
- 6″ Diameter Spray Head for exceptional water coverage
- Advanced, Self–Pressurizing Technology: 3x higher spray power for a more thorough rinse
- One–function Full Spray
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Great water coverage
- Immersion Technology increases water spray power
- Cheaper than other Moen showerheads
- The package doesn’t include an extension arm
- Compatibility issues with other showerhead arms
The RP52382 is a single-setting full body spray showerhead that matches the industry water output of 2.5 gallons per minute.
Here’s the deal with this one:
The product features a touch-clean spray face and a removable water flow regulator. However, our reviews show that the unit gives a weak pressure output of water even with the water regulator in place.
The Raincan perfectly complements the Rizu bath series by Delta. So if you are going to use one company for your next purchases, then Delta provides a lot of options to choose from. Whether you want to match the colors in your bathroom or buy an extendable arm to give the unit extra height, all can be done with the wide range available for customers.
Delta is a good company that pays particular attention to the quality of the products, but the RP52382 isn’t as sturdy as we would like it to be. Plus, it comes with a limited warranty that covers only parts and finish defects. That means when a problem does arise, you can’t really claim a replacement.
- Single-setting full body spray showerhead
- Features Touch-Clean spray face
- 5 GPM flow rate
- Lifetime limited warranty covers parts and finish defects
- Coordinates perfectly with the Rizu bath series
- Expansive water coverage
- Complements the Rizu bath series
- Easy to clean
- Lacks sturdiness
- Weak pressure output
- Limited warranty
The Thunderhead 2.5 can come across as relatively expensive, considering it doesn’t have a lot of features. We find the product’s design beautiful and extremely effective in helping increase the output pressure of water. And the white color brings a modern touch to your bathroom.
The unit weighs in at 3.25 pounds with dimensions of 10.6 x 9.5 x 7.4 inches making it one of the conveniently large-sized shower heads in the market. Pair it up with this external shower arm for a full-fledged rain-like experience.
The TH2.5 comes with an external water flow regulator that helps in decreasing the water consumption during the shower but our reviews show that the flow regulator leads to water leakage, which we believe is disappointing considering the price of the product.
- High pressure – up to 80 psi
- Self-cleaning mechanism due to high pressure
- External water flow regulator
- Powerful water output
- Large unit gives out a lot of water
- Beautiful white design
- Slightly expensive
- Not a lot of features
- Ineffective flow regulator leads to water leakage
How to Install a Shower Head:
Here is a quick step-by-step guide on how to install your new rain shower head:
Step 1: Gather Everything You’ll Need
It’s a good idea to gather all your supplies before you start. Here is a list of things you’ll need:
- Your new shower head and its parts
- Pipe wrench/Pliers
- Plumber’s tape
- Old cloth/rag to cover drain
Check if you have any parts missing. Then, cover the drain with an old rag or cloth to ensure nothing accidentally falls inside. Once you have everything you need, you can start replacing your shower head.
Step 2: Remove Your Old Shower Head
Now that you have everything you need, it’s time to remove your old shower head. Remember, if it has been there for a long time you might need to use a wrench to loosen it from the shower arm.
Also, don’t forget to turn off the faucets before you remove the shower head or water will start shooting everywhere.
Step 3: Wrap the Plumber’s Tape
Get your plumber’s tape out and wrap a layer of it around the threads of the new shower head. Make sure you entirely cover the length of the threads. This will prevent any leakage from the sides of the shower head, and will also ensure a steady water pressure.
Step 4: Attach Your New Shower Head
The next step is to install your new shower head. Carefully read the instruction manual before you start. You might not need to use a wrench; it might cause damage or scratching to the polish. Hand screw the head on clockwise but don’t over tighten it.
Step 5: Turn on the Faucets and Check for Leaks
That’s it, you’re almost done. Before you start to clean up everything, however, be sure to test your new rain shower head to see if you installed it correctly. Turn on the faucets and check if the pressure and output are fine, and if there are any leaks you need to take care of. If there is, try tightening the shower head. If not, you’re good to go. Enjoy your new rain shower!
You can also check out this video on how to install/replace a shower head:
- If you want to replace the shower arm too, do that before you move on the shower head.
- Remember to always turn off the faucets before you unscrew your shower head or water will start shooting everywhere and create a mess.
- Use a cloth to cover the pipe before you use a wrench to prevent any scratching or damage to the polish. You can also use a cloth over your hands to prevent scratching.
- The water pressure will decrease according to the size of the shower head and the number of nozzles. If you want high pressure, look for a smaller shower head with fewer nozzles.
My existing shower arm is installed too low for a rain shower head. What do I do?
Don’t worry, you can always install an S-shaped or a similarly shaped shower arm, which will mount on the same place on the wall, but extend the height of your shower head so you can enjoy the ‘rainfall’ effect.
What type of shower arms are best suited for rain shower heads?
Try looking for 90-degree wall-mounted, ceiling-mounted, or S-shaped shower arms that spray water directly over you like rain. Avoid 45-degree wall-mounted shower arms, because they will take away all the fun of a rain shower by spraying water unnaturally at an angle. It will also give a weaker spray.
There are a lot of great choices for the best rain shower head out there, but our top pick is the Somov World’s 6” Luxury Rain Shower Head, which offers literally everything you need at an affordable price.
This product also received a lot of praise from its customers, and is packed with useful features like self-cleaning, anti-clogging nozzles and, of course, delivers high performance.
Got any suggestions or feedback? Feel free to let us know below!