Back pain is not a disorder. As the experts at Healthline tell us, “It’s a symptom of several different types of medical problems.” Even more confusing is that we have upper back pain and lower back pain, and each could be the result of a mixed bag of issues.
The most common sources of back pain are problems with the muscles, ligaments, nerves or even the spine and individual vertebrae. Organ trouble could also be an underlying cause of back pain, and around 75% of adults experience bouts of it throughout their lives.
But here’s the kicker:
Many use pharmaceutical compounds to ease back pain without alleviating the actual causes, and still, others undergo surgery in the hopes of remedying the situation.
To understand your back pain, let’s spend a few moments taking a closer look and then look at the use of the best recliner for back pain to begin addressing your symptoms.
With that in mind, let’s turn our attention to the best recliner for back pain, and how to choose it.
|Product Name||Image||Dimensions||Overall Rating||Details|
|Esright Massage Recliner Chair Heated PU Leather Ergonomic Lounge||33.1 x 35.8 x 43.2 in||10||Check price|
|Space-Saving Zero-Gravity Full-Body Kahuna Massage Chair Recliner LM6800||46 x 31 x 48 in||8.5||Check price|
|Coaster Home Furnishings Modern Transitional Power Lift Wall Hugger Recliner Chair||37 x 39 x 41 in||8.5||Check price|
|Divano Roma Furniture – Classic Plush Bonded Leather Power Lift Recliner Living Room Chair||28 x 22 x 37 in||9.5||Check price|
|Perfect Chair “PC-420” Top Grain Leather Hand-Crafted Zero-Gravity Walnut Manual Recliner||43 x 31 x 47 in||8||Check price|
|Cozzia Dual Power ZG Recliner||42 x 31.5 x 46 in||9.5||Check price|
|Relaxzen 60-425111 Leisure Recliner Chair with 8-Motor Massage & Heat||32.3 x 27.2 x 17.7 in||8||Check price|
|Flash Furniture Massaging Black Leather Recliner||29.2 x 46 x 42 in||8.5||Check price|
Which Recliner To Choose
To help you select the best recliner for back pain, we are going to review some of the most commonly purchased options. They include ergonomic chairs meant to be used for lounging and relaxation, but you will also find office chair styles and even a zero gravity recliner or two.
Why so many different styles?
Again, let’s turn some experts in back pain.
“Contrary to popular belief, sitting in a reclined position is healthier for the lower back than sitting upright is…Researchers at the University of Alberta Hospital used a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) device to examine how much stress various seated postures put on the ligaments of the spine. Their key findings were [demonstrated] Of the three positions tested, sitting upright at 90 degrees put the most stress on ligaments of the spine, particularly on the intervertebral discs.”
So, there you have it – reclining is better for you even at work!
Best Massage Recliner for Leisure – Esright Massage Recliner Chair Heated PU Leather Ergonomic Lounge
If you’re eager to enjoy your downtime in a recliner, but you also want it to offer a lot of nice extras, the best recliner for back pain of this kind has to be the Esright Massage Recliner Chair Heated PU Leather Ergonomic Lounge 360 Degree Swivel.
We found ourselves using the remote control on this recliner quite a lot to adjust between different massage, heating, and vibration settings this massage chair features. The fact it also has the ability to swivel 360 degrees only made us like this model more.
But the thing that really sold us was the price.
In fact, we ranked the Esright Massage Recliner as our top choice because of it’s affordability—despite it having some bonus features you’d only expect to find on pricier models.
In an appealing black leather upholstery, it is a stylish and functional addition to any room or even office.
- Padded with extra thick cushioning on the back and armrest
- Extra support at the head and neck rest
- Has a full 360-degree swivel
- Reclines to 150 degrees for optimal comfort
- Features heating, massaging and vibration settings
- Has a remote control with five modes and two intensity levels
- Features innovative storage areas and concealed cup holders
- Though this does seem to be the best recliner for back pain, it is not ideal for an office setting or even use as a leisure seat. It can work as a regular recliner, but you may find it more useful for therapeutic sessions than anything else.
- A little pricey if you don’t plan on using the chair often.
The Best for All – Space-Saving Zero-Gravity Full-Body Kahuna Massage Chair Recliner LM6800
If you’re eager to find the best recliner for back pain, but you want a chair that provides a solution to everyone in your home, it is difficult to beat the Space-Saving Zero-Gravity Full-Body Kahuna Massage Chair Recliner LM6800 with yoga & heating therapy.
Designed with appealing colors and features, it could work within many settings. However, we do have reservations about this particular chair that keeps it out of the number one position on this list. First, it says it’s space saving, but it’s still a bit large. You might find it cumbersome if you’re thinking about putting it in a smaller space like an office.
Secondly, it’s a bit pricey.
While the massage the Kahuna Massage chair produced was superior in many ways, it might be hard to justify spending that much if you’ll only be using the chair occasionally.
But with that price tag comes a few features that are just too good to not notice. For example, we particularly loved the yoga stretch program. It also scans for body size and weight making sure you get the perfect massage each time, even when multiple people are using the chair.
The decompression of the spine this chair helped deliver is what really made this chair stand out as one of the best for relieving back pain. We noticed a big difference after using this chair.
Full-Body Zero Gravity Space Saving L-TRACK Kahuna Massage Chair - LM 6800
Just the name alone demonstrates the wide-ranging benefits it offers.
- Targeted massage features let you focus on upper, lower and entire back and body
- All in one chair with full body massage
- Massage system that supports the neck and back all of the way to the buttocks, decompressing the spine
- Offers three stages of true zero gravity positioning but only requires three additional inches of space to reach these positions, making it a space saving chair
- Auto-scans and adjusts to body size and weight
- Quiet operation
- Yoga stretching program that gives you the same circulation and stretching as a yoga workout
- 5 manual massage options, 6 auto programs, dual foot rollers
- Though this does seem to be the best recliner for back pain, it is not ideal for an office setting or even use as a leisure seat. It can work as a regular recliner, but you may find it more therapeutic than anything else.
Best Recliner with Built in Lift – Coaster Home Furnishings Modern Transitional Power Lift Wall Hugger Recliner Chair
Perhaps you want the looks of a classic recliner for your home, but you need something that protects your back as well as your knees and joints. The power lift recliner is the right solution, and the Coaster Home Furnishings Modern Transitional Power Lift Wall Hugger Recliner Chair with Emergency Backup is a prime example of this style.
- Features a power lift that gently pushes you to your feet, supporting both the knees and the lower back
- Active recline function also allows you to slowly and gently recline to your desired comfort level using a remote control
- Crafted from an appealing, chocolate brown chenille it works with any décor, and which includes a handy pocket for remote control storage
- Includes a battery backup to ensure functionality in the event of a power outage
- Not as roomy as some other options and has a weight capacity of less than 400 pounds.
Most Stylish Recliner for Back Pain – Divano Roma Furniture – Classic Plush Bonded Leather Power Lift Recliner Living Room Chair
If you are eager to have a chair with a power lift, but you don’t want the overstuffed look of the Coaster Home model (above), you can enjoy a sleek and contemporary style with the equally appealing Divano Roma Furniture – Classic Plush Bonded Leather Power Lift Recliner Living Room Chair (Black).
- Designed in a contemporary style, it is a plush chair with optimal padding at the seat, back and neck with rounded and contoured armrests
- It features a power lift that gently elevates the seated person to their feet, offering complete support to the back and the knees
- It also has a power recline that brings you to that optimal 135-degree incline
- Remote is attached and fits snugly in the pocket built into the trendy, bonded leather upholstery
- Available in multiple colors
- Not as much support at the armrests as other models.
Best Zero Gravity Recliner – Perfect Chair “PC-420” Top Grain Leather Hand-Crafted Zero-Gravity Walnut Manual Recliner
In the category of zero gravity recliner, the Perfect Chair “PC-420” Top Grain Leather Hand-Crafted Zero-Gravity Walnut Manual Recliner, Espresso easily lives up to its name.
It does seem perfect as it is one of the best looking lounge chairs imaginable. Upholstered in gorgeous espresso colored leather, it has the kind of aesthetics you’d expect in a premium design studio. It also has a lot to offer as one on the list of best recliners for back pain.
- Features neutral posture positioning that helps to eliminate pressure points
- Attains zero gravity positioning to reduce pain and optimize lung capacity
- Full support head pillow
- Adjustable lumbar support
- Extendable armrests
- Smooth reclining is done via the easy to use lever
- Ergonomic pad design
- Premium upholstery and design makes it a work of art, including the use of both leather and solid wood
- Relieves tension, soreness, and fatigue while boosting circulation
- As an award winner, it is a great option, but it is also extremely costly when compared to others.
Best Decorator Power Recliner – Cozzia Dual Power ZG Recliner
Maybe you like the looks of the Perfect Chair and need the zero gravity features, but want a bit more. For example, maybe you want massage with that power recline option and good looks. If so, the Cozzia Dual Power ZG Recliner, Ivory Leather is for you.
Another of the power recliners, it has the look of high fashion and fine interior design. It is a powered chair with many impressive features cleverly concealed inside.
- One Touch buttons take you into zero gravity positions gently and quickly
- Headrest and footrest are independently operated
- Three settings include massage, heat therapy and vibration
- Made of beautiful beechwood and premium quality leather
- This is a smaller sized chair with a maximum weight limit of 300 pounds, and it is a bit pricier than similar options.
Best Office Recliners for Back Pain – Relaxzen 60-425111 Leisure Recliner Chair with 8-Motor Massage & Heat
We learned earlier that sitting in the usual “office” position is the worst for the back. However, most of us don’t have the luxury of opting out of working at the desk during the day. To overcome some of the hazards this poses, you can opt for a fully equipped recliner designed to have all of the looks of the traditional office chair.
We found two we’d recommend.
The first has all of the bells and whistles and yet maintains the appearance of a serious office chair. The other is a bit more contemporary in its appearance, even a bit casual.
The first, is the Relaxzen 60-425111 Leisure Recliner Chair with 8-Motor Massage & Heat, Brown. With its iconic looks you might initially dismiss it as the standard executive office chair, yet it incorporates a surprisingly long list of benefits and features.
- Upholstered in premium “comfortsoft” material that looks and holds up like premium leather
- Offers eight different massage motors controlled via the remote control
- Includes an ottoman that has massage features as well as heating
- 9 pre-programmed modes and different intensity levels
- Soothing heat in the lumbar region of the chair
- Chair swivels and reclines, with recline tension fully adjustable
- Manufacturer describes this as ideal for a “medium-sized” person no taller than 5′ 10″ total.
Best for the Home Office – Flash Furniture Massaging Black Leather Recliner
The other executive look recliner is the Flash Furniture Massaging Black Leather Recliner and Ottoman with Leather Wrapped Base. This also includes the recliner and the matching ottoman, and both are controlled via the attached remote.
- 5 preprogrammed settings use kneading motion to work the neck, back and legs
- Upholstered arms ensure comfort and support
- Double padding on the seat and back
- Easily adjustable via knobs and controls
- Fully swiveling seat
- This does not feature any power support for reclining and it is sized small, ideal for the person, not over 300 pounds or taller than 6′.
Safety and the Best Recliner for Back Pain
“Your lower back (lumbar spine) should possess a forward curvature (lordosis). This is the ideal posture that you should strive to achieve and maintain lower back health. When in this lordotic posture, the lumbar spine is ideally positioned to minimize joint and disc stress.” To learn more, read this article about the best recliners for back pain relief.
Now that you have options for zero gravity recliners, executive-style office recliners, and full-blown massage chairs, you can start to make positive changes in your back. However, you should be sure that the chair you select is supporting your posture.
This means you will want to consider getting a lumbar support pillow, a better recliner and consider one with massage options.
Fortunately, that is what we’ve been looking at here.
Keep in mind that some chairs are going to require assembly, and if you have a bad back you will want to ensure that the vendor from which you’ve purchased the chair offers setup and installation, or you find someone to tackle it for you.
A Look at Upper Back Pain
If you speak with professionals, they often say that “when the upper back becomes painful, it is most likely due to an injury that has resulted in muscular irritation or joint dysfunction.”
These same experts point to issues like improper posture, sedentary lifestyles, improper lifting techniques, overuse of the upper back or accident are the primary reasons it develops. It is typified by neck pain, soreness in the shoulders and upper arms and pain in the spinal or central area of the back.
NOTE: Upper back pain might also be the result of a thoracic herniated disc, compression fracture, fibromyalgia, spinal deformity or arthritis, and all of these can be helped with the best recliner for back pain but also with medical support.
Regardless of the underlying cause, upper back pain is treatable with some simple steps.
- Change the routine and get some exercise
- Consider your sleeping position
- Practicing better posture
- Using OTC pain relievers
- Applying cool packs to sore areas
- Doing gentle stretching
- Getting a medical check
- Finding the best recliner for back pain
And what about the lower back?
There are a few differences between upper back pain and lower back pain.
Lower Back Pain
When you suffer from lower back pain, it can sometimes feel paralyzing. This is because it involves different structures including the lower spine and vertebrae, the muscle and ligaments of the back, the nerves and spinal cord and even the pelvic and abdominal muscles can be involved.
The causes for lower back pain are many and include muscle strain from incorrect lifting or rigorous movement, problems with the structure of the spine such as disk issues or nerve compression, skeletal issues such as scoliosis of the spine, loss of bone density, and fractures.
Unfortunately, the symptoms and signs of lower back pain can be much more severe and long-lasting than upper back pain.
Some people live with a dull aching pain, but others experience shooting pains, an inability to move and decreased the range of motion. Many find they cannot recline comfortably and suffer even more issues.
What’s the bottom line?
Treatment is similar to upper back pain with the use of OTC painkillers a common approach. Those with such pain are also encouraged to use cool packs, get posture improving exercise and strengthen the “core” muscles to support the spine when lifting or moving.
There is always the best recliner for back pain no matter what sort of back pain you live with.
Keep in mind that total bed rest is never a safe approach to overcoming severe back pain as it can worsen the issues. Sitting upright but without the pressures of gravity is often a better solution.
With that in mind, we can now look at the best recliner for back pain for those with a range of issues to address.
How To Use a Recliner Effectively for Back Pain
If you want a bit of proof that you can use the best recliner for back pain, consider this statement from pain management experts:
“Today, recliners are found in medical hospitals, at home, in airplanes, trains and so forth. They are designed to enable relaxing and resting of the elderly people, pregnant women, post-surgical patients and people with chronic back pain.”
But as is so often the case, not all recliners are made alike. You need to determine the best recliner for the back pain symptoms that you experience.
True, all recliners support the back, removing weight and easing tension or stiffness, but they operate differently might feature special head resets, massagers, and more.
To begin selecting the best recliner for back pain means asking yourself about your pain.
- Is it chronic or periodic?
- Is it going to be relieved by extra features like a massager or a zero gravity design?
- Is your body size one of the underlying causes of the pain?
- Is your pain the type that requires firm support?
This begins to clarify matters and you can then consider such issues are your preferences in fabric or upholstery, how the chair is to recline (by touch of a button or manual pull/push), if it needs to be larger to accommodate your body size, and whether or not you need special head or armrests.
Another major factor to consider if you want the best recliner for back pain is the degree of decline.
You must also give consideration to a chair with additional lumbar support. Do you need something to support your lower back so there is no gap between you and the chair?
You may also want to consider a smaller neck massager. If you’re limited on space or just want a massage on the go, our reviews of the best neck massagers will help you find the relief you’re looking for.
Back pain can impair your quality of life, and though there are so many different reasons you might be suffering from it, we’ve learned a good recliner can help alleviate many of the symptoms. From neck and upper back pain to lumbar and lower back pain, simple posture changes and support options can really help.
Most experts agree that a good recliner, with quality design, will definitely become an asset in your fight against back pain.
The key is to pick the type that offers you ideal support. There is a “best recliner for your back pain”, and most of our top-rated recliners can help. That being said, we highly recommend the Esright Massage Recliner Chair Heated PU Leather Ergonomic Lounge for most situations. It offered a lot of features at an affordable price, plus had a quality build.
What do you think? Have any of you had any luck at alleviating back pain with the help of a massage chair? Share your experiences with us below!